Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Grote Markt

Last night we took a little romp around town and went to Grote Markt, a part of the city with a few bars surrounding a little Piazza (for lack of a Dutch word). While a lot of people drive, it seems just as many people bike here and everyone rides the same big black cruisers (I only saw two road bikes my whole trip) and a lot of them have little seats right behind the handlebars for babies, which is so funny, they look like they're riding a chariot. Our bike ride to Grote Markt was a little perilous as we only had two bikes for three people, so Laura "dinked" Caroline on her bike
and I rode the other bike on my own, trying to remember how to pedal backwards to stop.
Mostly on this trip, we took the tram around town, which has little signs at every stop telling you when the train is coming! ARE YOU WATCHING MBTA, LOOK HOW IT'S DONE RIGHT!Amazing.
This morning Caroline took me to a traditional Dutch breakfast of Pancakes. These are not your momma's pancakes, though, don't be fooled. They're as big as a crepe and a little thicker, but not as thick as an American pancake. Into this, goes anything you could ever possibly think of, though it goes directly into the batter and is served flat, not folded up. Caroline told me she once got the Child's Pancake with a Surprise (that's the full name on the menu) and it came with ice cream and strawberries on top. Personally, I'm a big fan of pork, so I got Bacon in mine. When I ordered the waiter said "Good job! This is very traditional, you ordered the right thing! We will call you "Dutchie" now!" Thanks? Aside from my weird new nickname, the breakfast was such a treat! I was informed I had to put cane syrup on it to achieve the proper sweet:salty ratio and it was truly delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment