Saturday, June 6, 2009

Borough Market=Fat camp

Our last day in London we went to Borough Market, which is just about 2 acres of delicious yummy fresh and baked foods located just a 5 minute walk east of Nan's flat on the south bank of the Thames. We started off with delicious chicken sandwiches made from incredibly fresh ingredients and with ketchup and spicy mayo and arugula.We then moved on to the olive stand where I made a somewhat reluctant friend, although we bought 5 pounds sterling worth of olives, popponcinis, and vinegar-marinated onions.And we also saw two women near the fish market making giant seafood curries. They're both cooked in huge pans and full of mussels, clams, and shrimp...poison, basically, since I'm now regrettably allergic to shellfish.There was lots of fresh fish various and beautiful fresh mushroomsand so many pastries i couldn't keep up with what everything was. I just knew I wanted to eat everything. And I definitely did my best since almost all the stalls have samples of some kind.

We also went to the British Museum.Where we hung out with some statues stolen from the Parthenon (way to go, Lord Elgin). The controversy over whether or not to return these statues to Greece seems to be...well...not actually a controversy here. Greece is demanding their artifacts, particularly Parthenon statues, from museums all over the world and England has said no. The British Museum even printed a pamphlet explaining that a committee in Parliament actually declared the sales of all of the statues from Lord Elgin to the British Museum to be legal and that there was no issue with his methods (robbery) of obtaining them. I assume there weren't actually any Greeks on this committee. This was my favorite piece.
I also really liked the scarab amulets in the Egyptian exhibits. The type of stone they're carved from changes the meaning and the type of protection they provide.And of course, last but not least, we saw the famous Rosetta stone, which I expected to be a let down, but I found myself surprisingly awed. That the stone was written in Hieroglyphics, Greek, and Demotic, means that all three of these cultures intersected enough that it was essential that public announcements be multi-lingual, which I think is really fascinating.
There were also lots of great shells, which of course reminded me of Momand I had a face-off with a Roman wolf.

No comments:

Post a Comment